Saturday, August 15, 2009

Knowing My DIY Limits

Last night I got started on the latest big project around the house, replacing the bathtub. I was leaning towards possibly doing it all myself and have one of my handyman neighbors review my work, but I'm leaning towards having the installation part being done by a professional. Here's what has happened so far:

1. We spent a couple of hours at Menards last night, picking out the tub and the walls for the tub. Since we're doing the tub, I also had us pick up paint for the bathroom since the area above the tub walls will need to be painted anyways.

2. I spent an hour last night starting to do demolition. The first step was removing the existing tub wall coverings. While removing them, I first was worried that I found support beams behind some of the walls, but they were not.

3. This morning I started tearing out the beams that had been setup to bring the ceiling down and box in the bathtub a bit. I'll be spending a couple hours today removing those.

4. One of my roommates has a truck, so we picked up the tub and walls this morning. That took 1 1/2 hours between going there, picking up the stuff, tying it down, bringing it home and hauling it upstairs.

In a little bit I'm going to start making some phone calls to find someone to do the actual installation. I figure by putting in the sweat equity of getting all of the supplies and removing the bad stuff I can save some money. I probably could spend the time doing the tub installation, but I would rather have the job done right the first time.

No comments: