Thursday, August 27, 2009

Surprise at Work

Things have been rough at work this past month with 2 very large projects and I have been putting in a lot of extra hours. My boss, the owner, earlier in the week had invited all of the "production" team out for lunch to have some pizza. He's also been wanting our largest project completed this month and I'm the only one working on it. The pressure from him has been too rough for me to handle and the way I deal with it is just work as hard as I can.

After a meeting this morning, I let him know I wouldn't be able to go to lunch with them as I needed to spend time working on the project. I was so wanting to get away and join them for lunch, but I had stayed at work until 8 PM the night before and did not want to do that again. While they were at lunch, our sales manager asked why I hadn't gone and I broke into tears. I explained the pressure I've been feeling, working as hard as I can and ending up not seeing my daughter yesterday due to getting home after she was in bed.

My boss brought me pizza when they got back and then sent me an e-mail a couple minutes later letting me know that he very much appreciates my work ethic and is going to give me a 10% raise. I was very surprised to say the least. We've been having pay raise freeze for the past 6 months. I'm very certain the sales manager did not speak to him, so I don't think it was because of my conversation with her.

It took me a little bit of time to get the courage to go talk to him in person, but when I did I thanked him for the raise and it's nice and everything, but the thing I need is more support through asking me such questions as "How can I or we help you get the project done?" Even if there is no answer to the question, just the act of asking the question would help me very much.

3 comments:

Denise Mall said...

I think a little more sleep would help, since I am guessing with your garden you are eating well. That sleep schedule you are on can not be good for anyone.

My advice, stop rushing life - God wants you to live your life, not rush through it. I know you feel good accomplishing things when you would be sleeping, but those things are not what you look back on in your aging years - sleep so you can enjoy those kids and your wife - the rest will just fall in place - trust me!!!

Congratulations on the 10% raise that is amazing!

Chitown said...

Congrats on the raise. It is still nice to see hard work rewarded.

Betsey C. said...

Congratulations on your raise! You should be very proud of yourself, all your hard work is paying off. You are impressing the heck out of your boss, and in this job market that is priceless.