Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Garden Update

Here's where we're at:

Sq Feet with plants: 157
Sq Feet prepared for plants: 63
Sq Feet to prepare and plant: 566

What's Planted: Strawberries, Lettuce, Spinach, Peas, Onions, Chives, Leeks, Asparagus, Peppers, Garlic, Green Beans, Cilantro, 4 Tomato plants in pots

Planting This Week: Peppers, Onions, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Dill, Flowers

Planting Later: Carrots/Radishes, Eggplant, Celery, Basil, Kohlrabi, Cucumbers, Flowers, Cantalope, Tomatoes

What's Growing: Peas have sprouted up, spinach took very well to the ground, lettuce is taking root, chives and leeks made it through transplanting.

Decisions to make: It's been hard to find time to meet with the guy from church that has the tiller, my schedule is packed (even on Saturday). I'm thinking of using a shovel for the front 90 sq feet remaining to tear up and then just laying down landscaping fabric in the back.

Money spent: We're back to spending, purchased fencing to enclose areas from neighborhood animals (and kids). Spotted a possum checking out my strawberry bed on Saturday morning. Also purchased landscaping fabric for the back.

Item Missing: Wedding ring is in the dirt, small area we were working in last night, going to contact friend that has high-end metal detector for their help. Always remember to work with gloves or take any rings off.

I'm waiting for next year's garden, it will be a whole lot easier!

2 comments:

Dan said...

You should have lots of food this summer. I just finished putting in my raised beds and filled them with 8 tons of triple mix, or a least the top soil people told me it was 8 tons. I have gardened for a few years now and I have learned in a hurry that the soil is the key. If you can get your hands on compost or manure and till it in you will really increase you productiveness. Usually cities give away compost from the leaf collection or find a mushroom farm.

I have planted beets, carrots (red ones, never seen them before), broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts & peas. I have to wait to plant everything else due to frost until around May 24th.

Good Luck!

Sick of Debt said...

A "neighbor" of ours about 5 miles away provides me manure every 6 months (spring and fall). I'm needing to use the pile she gave me last fall and then I'll be contacting her for more.

Besides stocking up our freezer and canning a fair amount, we'll be giving a large quantity to our church to distribute.