Saturday, June 9, 2007

Old Bounced Check = 1/2 Day Class

Exactly a year ago from yesterday, we bounced a check. We actually bounced quite a few checks last year around this time. Our finances were in a ruin, money was being spent left and right, we weren't tracking it properly and then I lost my job. With the lack of a job, it made it hard to fill the bank account back up and pay the NSF fees.

One of those checks went a long way. I know what the check was for, it was for birth control we bought at a Target pharmacy. They first charged a $25 NSF fee and asked for payment. The $64.73 payment they were asking for at the time was an enormous sum at the time when we didn't have two nickels to rub together and if we did we were pumping them into the gas tank so I could look for work. They then forwarded our bad check claim to the county's bad check program. The county then tacked another $190 onto it in legal fees, bringing it to $254.73 with the threat of jail time and/or additional fees if it was not taken care of.

I was scared to call them this week to find out the payoff amount, but yesterday I called them and it was still at the $254.73 but I also have to take a 1/2 day class on financial accountability. I'll be taking it on 6/30 and let you know what happens with it. This weekend I'll be making a money order to take care of the balance and mailing it out on Monday. I don't know what they're going to cover over 4 hours that could be summed up in "Don't write bad checks! Spend less than you make!" but we'll see.

No comments: