Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hose Talkers

I learned some new marketing lingo, hose talkers. When I first heard that word, I thought about the "old fashioned" gas station where they had a hose lying on the ground near the entrance, so that when you drove over them, the attendants knew someone needed service. What it really is is a piece of advertising placed upon the hose that you pump gas out of. They figure they have a captive audience that HAS to fill up on gas and wait for it, so why not have an ad that "talks" (has text on it) for you to read.

Sadly, I installed some today for a job, 2 & 1/2 hours of work for $100. That doesn't count the amount my boss makes off of it, etc. We are so inundated with advertising, one doesn't even think about the people trying to sell you items while you go about your daily life, like filling up gas.

Today's lesson: Advertising affects your perception of what's a need and what's a want.

No comments: