Friday, March 23, 2007

What is the corporate world thinking?

I don't know if I should feel blessed to be a bottom feeder of the corporate world's decisions to outsource activities or concerned. Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about:

- Tomorrow I'm going to a convenience store to put together a display above their coffee machine. Time: 2 hours maximum. Pay: $100.

- For the Easter season, a manufacturer of small toy cars shipped baskets without prices on them. My wife yesterday went to a local giant all-in-one shop, told them what the prices are to be, applied prices to the baskets and prepared them for display. Time: 45 minutes. Pay: $12

- Every 2 weeks my wife goes to a local high-end clothing store at a mall nearby, fixes the display of a certain brand of purses and stocks new purses. Time: 30 minutes. Pay: $8

- My wife received a shipment of calling cards, brought them to a local grocery store, had them check them in and stock them. Time: 20 minutes. Pay: Unknown.

I didn't list exact companies, but these are companies that have employees present that are able to do these activities without our assistance. If I had named them, you probably would recognize them. My wondering is why in the world do these companies outsource such activities to "third parties" such as my wife and I, instead of using the staff that are already there.

Lesson for today: If you are willing to do some searching, you can get paid well to do the easiest of tasks.

No comments: